The Cardiopulmonary Services Department at Mary Greeley Medical Center provides respiratory care for patients throughout the hospital. Cardiopulmonary Services prides itself on its state-of-the-art equipment, staff retention and the receptiveness of our respiratory care practitioners (RCPs) to the latest treatments and techniques.
Patients needing attention from our RCPs typically have a cardiac diagnosis, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD, or emphysema), cystic fibrosis (CF) or pneumonia.
For more information, call us at 515-239-2612 or contact us via e-mail.
Services and Staff
Our respiratory care practitioners (RCPs) are registered or registry eligible, and many are cross-trained in special procedures. Therapists provide inpatient diagnostic services, treatment and education, including:
- Bedside consultation and assessment
- Continuous therapy, such as oxygen, aerosol, infant hood, oxygen mist tent
- Diagnostics in pulse oximetry, spirometry, electrocardiogram (EKG), echocardiogram, arterial blood gas sampling and analysis, bronchoscopy and thoracentesis assist
- Critical care, BIPAP (bilateral intermittent positive airway pressure) and ventilator management
- Discharge planning and patient education in nebulizers, metered dose inhalers and other medication and equipment.
Our staff offers health education services to the community, such as:
- Tobacco education in schools
- Smoking cessation consultation
- Education for those suffering from asthma, COPD and CF