Here at Birthways we have 22 patient rooms - 9 regular private rooms and 13 private labor/delivery/recovery/postpartum (LDRP) rooms. The LDRP rooms are specially designed so that from start to finish, you can stay in the same room.
Birthways also has two outpatient rooms for women being checked for active labor, a Level II, four-bed neonatal intensive care unit (NICU); and one operating room and one recovery room for cesarean births. Even if your baby needs a little help meeting the world, you’ll never leave the comfort of Birthways.
Want to see a Birthways room? Come visit us and register online for a guided tour! Or give us a call at 515-239-2444 or 800-951-9222.
"I had my second delivery at MGMC in June.
I talked so much about my 1st of 2 awesome
experiences that my coworker's wife drove
over 60 miles to deliver at MGMC
almost two years ago!"
- Patricia, Birthways Mom
Additional features to help you have a happy stay:
- Room service available from 7am-10pm
- Snacks and beverages available 24/7
- On-floor refrigerator for goodies you or your visitors might bring
- Whirlpool tubs
- A family waiting room to accommodate all the relatives awaiting the news
- Flat screen TV equipped with cable and built-in DVD player
- Wireless access to keep everyone up to date
Skilled staff who care
You want to be in the hands of caring people you can trust when you have your baby. Our nurses and doctors are highly trained professionals that take an exceptionally personal approach to your care.
- All physicians are board certified.
- All registered nurses are specially trained in obstetrical and neonatal care.
- Anesthesiologist coverage for epidurals, pain medication and other procedures is available 24/7.
- Nurse-midwives are certified by the American College of Nurse-Midwives.
- Lactation consultants and breastfeeding educators are available 24/7.
- Discharge planners are provided to help you and your baby transition home.
"I've had three babies at Mary Greeley
Medical Center. LOVE this hospital!"
Kathleen, Birthways Mom
Build the bond
We promote a baby-friendly environment on the Birthways unit, meaning that we feel babies thrive when they’re around their mother. Because of that, we try to keep mother and child together as often as possible, and thanks to our LDRP rooms, we’re able to do just that. However, if your baby needs closer observation, we have skilled 24-hour staff that can watch over your baby in the special care nursery.
Quiet is good medicine
Throughout the entire hospital, we stress the importance of quiet as part of our focus on excellent patient care. Visitors are required to check-in at the nurse’s station, so if you’re just not up to visitors, we’ll let them know. Every afternoon from 1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. we ask that no visitors come to the floor. You need your rest and your little one does too.
Safe and sound
We want your family to feel safe, so our unit features a comprehensive security system that offers additional protection for our newborns, including:
- Matching identification bands for baby, mom, and one person of mom’s choosing
- Electronic transmitters that lock exit doors
- Surveillance cameras that monitor each exit off the floor at all times
There are also things you can do that will help ensure the safety of you and your infant during your stay:
- Only allow staff members to take your baby from your room after you’ve checked their identification.
- Never leave your baby alone or unsupervised in your room.
- Place your baby’s crib out of direct view of the door.
- Always verify your ID bracelet with your baby’s if you have been separated.
- Call your nurse if you are unsure about anyone who comes into your room or asks about your baby.