Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
Goal: $1.5 Million
Opening Early Fall 2021
Make a Gift
Redefining Family Care
Mary Greeley Medical Center has proudly provided compassionate care to families for more than a century, and nowhere in the medical center do we more intimately touch lives than in Maternal/Child Services.
As more and more families trust their care to our specially trained providers, our vision has grown. We are re-imagining Family Care in a way we are confident other hospitals will follow.
In the summer of 2020, we launched an ambitious project that will transform the way care is delivered to mothers, newborns, children and all those who love them.
Family-Centered Care: An Innovative Approach
Following the science, our modernized Family Care Center is designed with best practices at its core. Employing a model in use in only a handful of hospitals nationwide, it will achieve our vision to provide an environment of healing with features that engage children, and put a premium on family involvement, privacy and comfort.
Notable New Birthways Features
- 23 specially designed LDRP Suites with NICU capabilities. Each large suite will allow babies to room-in with the mother throughout the stay, even when NICU care is necessary
- Expanded space for families including a sleeper couch and recliner
- Two extended suites to accommodate twins
- A private bereavement suite and waiting room for families who have lost a baby
- Two state-of-the-art operating rooms and a recovery room located on the unit
- Newborn treatment room
- Outpatient office with lactation suites to support breastfeeding
- Large family lounge located near the entrance
Among the most innovative changes is the design of rooms to accommodate babies requiring NICU care. Research shows this new NICU approach will:
- Decrease anxiety for parents
- Reduce the risk of infection, pneumonia, unplanned extubations, and morbidity
- Increase rates of successful breastfeeding and weight gain
- Reduce the length of stay in the hospital
“The hardest thing about being here or eight days was being separated,” says Stacy Peterson, whose son Boden required advanced care in the NICU in the hours after his birth. Stacy is pictured with Boden and husband, Grant.
“There were so many things that happened that I just couldn’t be there for. I was in a room by myself and I couldn’t be with him and there was definitely some post-partum depression that set in,” Stacy continues. “Every time I had to leave him in the NICU, I would leave crying. It was difficult.”
Read more from the Peterson's
Sparking the Imagination
In addition to patient rooms that put an emphasis on providing children a caring, bright, warm and upbeat environment, we are greatly enhancing common spaces. In addition to several unique touches—from artwork in common spaces to a playroom built for patients and their siblings—our vision is to stimulate the imagination of our pediatric patients while providing an opportunity for respite during a difficult time.
Notable Features of the Pediatrics Unit
While on the same floor as other Family Care Center services, care on our Pediatrics unit will continue to be delivered by a team that includes pediatric hospitalists—physicians who specialize in delivering hospital-based care to children—on duty 24/7, specially trained pediatric nurses and more.
This re-imagined environment will enhance our low patient-to-staff ratio as we deliver individualized care in a home-like atmosphere to our youngest patients.
- Eight family-friendly patient rooms to inspire interaction and engagement with young patients
- Color changing light features for each room, color choice selected by the patient
- Magnetic white board surface for communication and creativity
- Playful, animal inspired artwork by a local artist gives each room its own identity
- Treatment Room with positive distraction for patients during minor medical procedures
- Playroom with dynamic activities to support psychological and physiological well-being of children
“On the new Pediatrics unit, we are excited to add a number of advanced features with the patient and family at the center of care,” says Pediatric Hospitalist Laura Hufford, MD, pictured above.
“We have added several advanced features that enable our pediatric patients to create a room designed specifically for their needs. This helps our young patients heal as quickly and comfortably as possible.”
Your Opportunity to Redefine Family Care
To bring this vision to reality, we need your help. Philanthropic support from donors like you is vital as we begin the work of implementing this new vision for the Family Care Center.
This is a new standard of care that will impact generations by putting a premium on the care we provide to our youngest patients and the support we provide to those who love them.
We appreciate your consideration of a gift that will directly impact the level of care provided to some of the most vulnerable children in our community and region. We are proudly offering a select number of naming opportunities for those who have a vision that aligns with ours and want to leave a lasting legacy. To discuss any of these options, please reach out to us today.
We thank you for your continued support of the patients, staff, programs and services of Mary Greeley Medical Center and hope you will join others in our community in investing in the health of the families we are so fortunate to serve.
Make a Gift to the New Family Care Center