Story County Public Health COVID-19 Vaccine Update:
COVID-19 vaccines are widely available for people 12 years and older. You must be 12 years of age to receive the Pfizer vaccine and 18 years of age to receive the Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines per the FDA.
If you still need a vaccine, please contact a local clinic or pharmacy.
Story County Public Health is providing vaccines to the general public as well. Call 1-800-945-8563 to make an appointment.
To schedule an appointment at McFarland Clinic, visit https://www.mcfarlandclinic.com/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine
As of August 23rd, 52,800 Story county residents are fully vaccinated, which is 52.2% of the Story county population.
We have begun to administer third doses of the Covid vaccine (Moderna or Pfizer) only to immunocompromised people. Learn more about who is eligible for a COVID-19 booster shot.
We hope to begin administering booster shots this fall for non-immunocompromised people. These doses will be administered 8 months after the second dose of a Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. At this time, a booster dose is not recommended for people that received the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) vaccine. Learn more about the COVID-19 vaccine booster shot.
COVID-19 Vaccine Online Scheduling
Step 1: Confirm your eligibility:
You are NOT eligible to receive the vaccine at this time if you:
- Have tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- Are currently in quarantine for COVID-19 because of a recent exposure or close contact
- Have been treated with convalescent plasma or monoclonal antibodies for COVID-19 in the past 90 days
Step 2: Schedule your appointment:
- If you have an existing MyChart account, you can complete the scheduling of the appointment by logging into MyChart when offered the option.
- If you do not have an existing MyChart account, you may schedule by selecting to continue as a guest.
- You must be 12 years of age to receive the Pfizer vaccine and 18 years of age to receive the Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines per the FDA. If under 18 (Pfizer only), a parental consent will need to be completed.
- If applicable, your second dose will be scheduled on site when you receive your first dose.
Step 3: Important appointment information:
- Arrive on-time to your scheduled appointment (not early) to complete the registration process. Please bring a form of identification to validate your eligibility.
- Vaccines are administered by Story County Public Health at no charge. The clinic is located at 1114 Duff Ave, Ames, IA 50010.
- Plan to remain at the clinic for at least an additional 15 minutes after your appointment time.
If you are not seeing appointments when they are scheduled to be open:
The scheduling system may be experiencing a high volume of requests, you may have a cookie causing an issue, or your web browser may be cached. In this case, try another browser, use incognito mode, or try holding shift and refreshing the page. You may also call Story County Public Health at 1-800-945-8563 to schedule an appointment.