Preparing for Baby
Get the guidance and support you need for a healthy pregnancy and happy newborn from the experts at Birthways. Take advantage of different resources, including classes and checklists, to help you feel as prepared as possible.
Classes We Offer
Register today for online and in-person education that can help you and your family members get ready for your baby's arrival. Check out our calendar for upcoming:
- Childbirth (Lamaze) classes
- Prenatal and postpartum exercise classes
- Breastfeeding education and support groups
- Newborn care and parenting classes
- Classes to prepare siblings for a new brother or sister
How to Have a Healthy Pregnancy
To give your baby the healthiest possible start and feel your best during pregnancy, use our checklist [PDF], organized by trimester. Follow our general recommendations:
- Don't use tobacco, alcohol, or drugs while pregnant. Avoid secondhand smoke.
- Eat a healthy diet and take a prenatal vitamin daily.
- Exercise regularly.
- Get regular prenatal care on the schedule your doctor recommends. Follow your doctor's recommendations on what to do and things to avoid.
- Get support from family and friends.
- Find healthy ways to manage stress.
- Manage other health conditions you have, such as diabetes.
Count Your Baby's Kicks
Around 28 weeks of your pregnancy, pick a time each day to count 10 movements (kicks, jabs, pokes, etc.) made by your baby. Don't be worried if it takes more than two hours for your baby to move 10 times, but contact your doctor.
Getting Ready for Childbirth
Take time to:
- Find out what it's like to stay at Birthways and view an online tour
- Learn what to pack for the birth center and what to expect during labor and delivery
Review your insurance information and register for your hospital stay