About Mary Greeley Medical Center
“Because it’s the right thing to do.” You hear that phrase a lot at Mary Greeley Medical Center. It describes the philosophy that guides our delivery of high quality, cost effective patient care. Mary Greeley is a 220-bed regional hospital that provides healthcare to the residents of a 13-county area in central Iowa. The counties include Story, Boone, Marshall, Greene, Hamilton, Hardin, Sac, Calhoun, Wright, Carroll, Tama, Dallas and Polk. We are “doing what’s right” for our patients in many ways, including:
- Inpatient and outpatient services that support a continuum of care for our patients, including surgery, cancer care, cardiac care, diabetes and nutrition care, orthopedics, obstetrics and gynecology, gastroenterology, mental health services, palliative care, home health care, hospice care, rehabilitation and more.
- A medical staff of more than 190 professionals who have expertise in 50 specialties and sub-specialties.
- A medical center staff that includes more than 1,300 nurses, patient care technicians, therapists and other clinical and non-clinical positions.
- A comfortable and convenient healing environment, which includes spacious patient rooms in a newly constructed six-story tower, and large labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum(LDRP) rooms in our Birthways obstetrics unit.
- Advanced technology, including a high-end True Beam linear accelerator, da Vinci surgical robot, an advanced MRI machine and more.
- State and national recognition for the quality of care, including consistent “A” ratings in patient safety.
- Amenities that contribute to the overall patient and visitor experience, including a full-service cafeteria, a Gift Shop, Burgie's Coffee Shop, art exhibits, and a beautiful rooftop garden on the 5th floor of our new west patient tower.
- Partnerships with all the major physician clinics in the area, including McFarland Clinic PC, a multi-specialty clinic; Doran Clinic for Women, which provides gynecology and obstetrics services; the Iowa Heart Center, the largest heart specialty clinic in Iowa; Primary Health Care, which provides services for people who may be uninsured or underinsured; and Wolfe Eye Clinic, which specializes in eye care.
Mary Greeley Medical Center, which opened in 1916, was a gift to the city of Ames from Captain Wallace Greeley. Today, Mary Greeley continues to be city-operated but governed by an elected Board of Trustees. The hospital is not tax supported. Rather, expenses are covered by hospital-generated revenue. As a non-profit medical center, our revenues go back into the operation of the hospital, leading to better facilities, better technology and better-trained staff to provide excellent patient care.
To advance health through specialized care and personal touch.
To be the best.
We take PRIDE in the quality of care we provide to our patients, visitors and families.