Home > Health & Wellness > Health Library > Chemical Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis)
Chemical pinkeye (conjunctivitis) or toxic pinkeye is caused by
getting smoke, liquids, fumes, or chemicals in the eye. Flushing the eye with
running water must be done immediately to remove the toxic chemical or
Mild pinkeye can be caused by the chlorine in swimming pools. Most
people don't need treatment. After the eye is rinsed free of the toxic
substance, artificial tears or ointment may be used to decrease the redness and
Symptoms of serious pinkeye caused by a toxic substance
Pinkeye from a chemical or toxic substance needs to be evaluated by a
Chemical pinkeye is not contagious.
October 31, 2013
William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Call First Nurse 24 Hours a Day for free health care advice, resources and referrals!
Ames: 515-239-6877In Iowa: 800-524-6877
Search health information online in our Mulimedia Health Library.
Use our interactive symptom checker to evaluate your symptoms and determine appropriate action or treatment.
Patient Privacy |
Net Learning for Employees |
MGMC PACS for Physicians
1111 Duff Avenue Ames, IA 50010 - 515-239-2011 - firstname.lastname@example.org
©2014 Mary Greeley Medical Center - All rights reserved.