Home > Health & Wellness > Health Library > Breast-Feeding: Avoiding Toxic Substances
While you are
breast-feeding, avoid exposure to poisonous
substances, which may be in contaminated water, food, or air. Heavy metals such
as lead and mercury, some pesticides, and other industrial or household
chemicals can sometimes end up in breast milk.
If mercury builds up to toxic levels in the human body, it can cause brain damage. Overall, fish and shellfish are healthy foods, but it's best for breast-feeding moms to avoid eating fish high in mercury. It can be harmful when mercury is passed to your baby through your breast milk.
Make sure your household and work areas are not hazardous. Use
common sense to avoid strong chemicals, such as pesticides. If you are unsure
or concerned about exposures, contact your local health department for
information about whether special testing is warranted.
Talk to your doctor if you are unsure about your exposure to
Current as of:
June 4, 2014
Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine & Kirtly Jones, MD - Obstetrics and Gynecology
How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.
To learn more, visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Use our interactive symptom checker to evaluate your symptoms and determine appropriate action or treatment.
I want to...
1111 Duff Avenue Ames, Iowa 50010
515-239-2011 Email us
Anywhere in Iowa 800-524-6877