This course is one of the state-approved and Iowa EMS Education Directors' Group approved Emergency Medical Services Instructor courses. The state and Education Directors' Group endorses this forty-hour course as one of the few ways in which to obtain an Iowa EMS Instructor Endorsement.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be credentialed as Iowa EMS Instructors and will be eligible to teach formal education hours for EMS topics through a state of Iowa approved training center (such as Mary Greeley's). Candidates will learn how to plan, prepare, organize, assess, evaluate and manage EMS lectures and skills. This will be taught in accordance with Iowa statute and in accordance with local EMS training center guidelines.
Candidates must be committed to education and have a strong aptitude and ambition to be an EMS educator. Candidates should be experienced as EMS providers and should have already demonstrated their willingness to commit to education by way of involvement in other activities such as BLS instruction, EMS evaluation, etc. prior to applying to sit for this course.
Characteristics of a successful candidate:
- Have extensive experience in EMS and active involvement with a professional or volunteer EMS service.
- Have demonstrated aptitude and ambition for becoming an EMS Instructor.
- Have a working relationship with their local and/or supporting Iowa EMS Training Center.
Candidates MUST provide the following as part of the application process:
Instructors for the course will be:
- Cheryl Blazek, BS, Southwestern Community College, Creston, IA: Lead Instructor
- Darin Ruud, BA, MICS, Mary Greeley, Ames, IA: Assistant Instructor
- Joe Ferrell, Regulations Manager, Iowa Bureau of EMS: Bureau Regulations Component
This Course will meet every Wednesday from 6-10 pm from March 5th until and including May 7th 2014. All classes will be held at the main campus at Mary Greeley Medical Center in Ames. No partial credit will be given for partial attendance. Class will consist of lecture, activities, preparation, participation and evaluation. Upon successful completion of the course including the completion of all activities and attendance, candidates will be recommended for the Instructor endorsement attached to their Iowa EMS certification.