At the conclusion of this activity, learners will be able to:
1. Review US and Iowa TB epidemiology which indicates that treating LTBI is an appropriate strategy.
2. Clearly define and differentiate latent TB from active TB infection.
3. Recognize how new technology affects LTBI diagnosis (e.g., IGRA, QFT-G, T-Spot, TB).
4. Understand the latest treatment recommendations including the novel 12 dose, DOT paradigm.
Professional practice gap that will be addressed:
- Uncertainty about diagnosis of LTBI and active TB
- Correct treatment for LTBI
- How to apply newest diagnostic technology (e.g., IGRA)
- Role of 12-week INH/Rifapentine DOT regimen for LTBI
Overall goal: Update basic knowledge about LTBI. This knowledge will improve practice and reduce risk for treatment-related complications.
Target audience: Physicians, mid-level providers, nurses, health care administrators